Stress, uncertainty, fear, anxiety, isolation, and anger. Yes, these are all very valid emotions you might be having during the COVID 19 Pandemic. Almost every aspect of life is impacted, and companies are scrambling to protect their employees and their operations. HR must develop a strategic plan regarding employee training and development that will not only help retain employees, give them a greater sense of security and purpose, increase their productivity, but assist the organization to adapt to changes in the current business environment.
Informed and educated decisions will need to be made about the company’s current training initiatives. Should training sessions be rescheduled, canceled, held in-person, be moved all on-line, or a combination of the above?
- Rescheduled or Canceled:
- First, is the training essential to operations? If not, during the pandemic, you may want to think about canceling it to allow your employees to be 100% focused on their jobs.
- If training is essential, or your company is feeling a decline and employees are struggling to keep busy, now is a good time to invest in them with training that can lead to a competitive advantage for your teams. Any in-person training should be moved online.
- Ideas for online training:
- Technology-based training to show teams how to use company software from home.
- Health and safety-based training reminding people about social distancing, CDC guidelines, etc.
- Policy and procedure training to educate teams on new initiatives that have been established to keep the company profitable.
- Customer-based training on how to deal with the public in this changing world.
- Ideas to maximizing training:
- Assign teams of people to meet online. Give each team a problem and ask them to solve it showing the features and benefits of saying how the company’s product compares to the competitors.
- Designate a time for all teams to meet to present their solutions, build their knowledge, and create stronger relationships.
The importance of training your employees boils down to how to best take care of them, enhance their skills and worth, and how to fight anxiety and stress in this difficult time. Remember, we are all in this together!